Skip to main content

On the Kelsey Plum Trade

At the risk of this subject overpowering my traditional rundown of the recent Sparks vs. Valkyries game, I thought that I would briefly touch on what “the elephant in the room” looks like after only a week. Outside of online spaces, today was the first encounter I had with the aftermath, the first real observation of what fans were thinking of the Kelsey Plum trade midseason.

To provide my own developing opinion first, I am stuck in a state of dissonance. The simple truth is that I support any player going where their heart wants them to. Selfishly, I would like Plum to be in Los Angeles, but it’s clear that whatever she wanted was not here. As it stands, I have A LOT of criticisms around them benching players this season (ex: Kate Martin) that I will get to at a different time. For now, I am willing to assume there were valid causes for KP moving to the desert and giving The Mercury a chance, especially after they had a phenomenal finish last season. Does it hurt? Yes, especially given that she made her Sparks announcement in The Walter Pyramid at CSULB. You parasocially attach deeper meaning, like somehow she loves Long Beach and the various cities in L.A. County as much as you do. 

But on a more serious note, there’s a bigger feeling I’ve struggled to shake even as I’ve found contrary details. The Plum trade falling when it did may be the single most devastating act The Sparks were involved with since Liz Cambage left back in 2022. If there’s a difference, Cambage was considered a menace whereas Plum strikes me as a professional intent on winning. Her records early in the Phoenix era prove she’s still beyond talented and whoever has her has a great shot of being pushed further. The Sparks, much to my chagrin, entered today’s game in ninth place with six games back from eighth place. The next 3-4 ranked are even closer to sabotaging potential upward trajectory, and I fear this is the Jenga piece needed to collapse the whole tower… even if Nneka Ogwumike and Rae Burrell (among others) continue to put in amazing work night after night. 

Nowhere is that more concerning than watching the game, at one point, come within a single point of LAS taking the lead. I had to wonder… would Plum have given them more of an advantage? The team is good, but the trade’s long-term impacts are only beginning to be processed. I have faith that The Sparks are a GOOD team and today was far more enjoyable than my melancholic outlook would suggest. However, what is the team without Plum? Is it salvageable in the short run? My fear is that slight advantage is disappearing and will bite them by the end of the month. Again, I will more directly talk about the larger game and team in another post.

The upside to going to the GSV game when I did is that there hasn’t been time to fully let the dust settle. The fans are still wearing the jerseys. There’s still a mystery on how they will move forward AND it could still be better than I think. However, I was shocked by how flawlessly she was removed from the opening video. Admittedly, it’s not hard when it’s a montage, but you wanted to believe it was set in stone. Nope! She’s in there, but she’s in it like Bam Margera was in Jackass Forever. The editor is impeccably diligent. 

Not to create a new Sparks curse, but it does feel like the opening video has developed a bad omen of sorts. Two times now, a main athlete has sat in the central car used to promote the video. Cameron Brink had been in the hot seat before only to miss part of the season. Now Plum has disappeared. While this isn’t a 1:1 theory given that there’s usually multiple players in the mix, it’s hard not to think these things come in threes (stay tuned in 2027).

But how are fans responding? I mostly got a clue from visiting the store where, quite prominently, signs were posted saying that everything with Kelsey Plum’s likeness would be sold for 40% off. I had wanted to buy the Funko Pop since it was going to become a rare novelty very soon (and, at 40% off, was dirt cheap) and serve as a reminder of her being on the team. I also bought a nice shirt marked down from $75. 

While it’s safe to say that fans were swarming the entire store, there was an emphasis in the Plum areas, where a lot of conversation was developing around their feelings about the trade. I once joked to my sister that The Sparks were going to put her name on anything they were just trying to get rid of. I think the joke was misunderstood because somebody nearby said, “Don’t say that!” when all I meant was something closer to, “Well, we haven’t sold these Rickea Jackson dolls yet, let’s put Plum’s name on it!” It’s safe to say that I’m not the only one who will miss her, as I also encountered a woman buying her socks.

As it stands, it’s too early to tell how much bitterness there is among fans, even if her likeness still wanders the halls in large quantities. It’s also telling that she was the one who got the Funko Pop when many of the athletes were developing their own reputation among the homebase. She had a legacy that reached beyond the current struggles. She provided hope. Given that I was at the final game of the 2025 season, I still recall her standing before the crowd and saying that she/they would come back next season with the goal of winning. If there was a difference (and, again, I may be too mixed up in anxiety to see the other way right now), it was that we missed the playoffs by one game. It was the closest we had come to seeing that potential in three years. 

To be a Sparks fan, you have to accept the patience of trial and error. We have the legacy and some phenomenal players, but we just haven’t figured out how to get over the hump yet. I’m beyond excited to see what Ogwumike can do with her next venture with the team… though I had also assumed Plum would fit in the team the same way she did with The Aces and it was an accent mark on an impressive rooster. Again, this is discrediting a lot of players I really like, but I once drove to and from Las Vegas in a single day to see her play in Game 1 of the Finals. She’s meant something in the past few years other than saving gas money.

Anyway, for those who won’t read my next essay that’s more central to the game, do know that I had a good time and this season’s cumulative experience was way more optimistic than other years. I have seen them lose by 30+ points before. That didn’t happen in the three games I attended. It can be argued that things could’ve looked different if so and so was in better shape, but that’s the beauty of sports. Sometimes you have enough to win and, in this case, your margin of loss is actually an improvement over where it has been. Things are getting good. I think it’s just too easy to get impatient and wish the miracle would kick in already. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Thoughts on The Sparks vs. The Aces

For Sparks fans, the past 72 hours have been especially frantic. By the slimmest of margins, the Los Angeles team managed to miss out on their first playoff appearance in several seasons. It may not seem like a major feat, but given that I was there when Liz Cambage and Chennedy Carter were the bright spots on the roster (to save space, I’ll just say + “controversy” on Google will fill in some gaps) as well as at least three coaches and the trading of star player Nneka Ogwumike to The Storm, you could understand why I suddenly became that person at the racetrack watching the horses run, shaking irrationally with a crushed betting slip in my hand, hoping that *somebody* would go down in the closing stretch. Alas, to have that be The Storm winning against the new kids of California, The Valkyries, by a single point difference is such a heartbreaking way to go… and on a night where The Sparks WON.  There is a hypothetical where one more victory early in the season would’ve given that ...

Introducing… SCRAPS!

Sometime around my teenage years, I started writing regular diaries detailing whatever was on my mind. While this stemmed into a more conventional writing career, it was also a chance to process my life on a weekly basis and determine what I felt mattered to me. This evolved from a short-lived Myspace column to its own platform called The Private Life. As the title suggests, it was intended to be a record of where I was at any given time and, for most of that time, I wrote candidly about who I was then with a modicum of success. I say modicum because any documentation will provide a gateway into the past. However, as that column quickly approaches over 15 years in existence, I have found that my goals with it haven’t been that satisfying. The past few years have found me skipping weeks (sometimes months) in order to save fodder for my flagship website The Memory Tourist: itself a mix of personal anecdotes and media criticism that has become one of the most elaborate projects I’ve worke...

25 Records from 2025 That I Like

For fun, I’m highlighting a handful of records that I have enjoyed from 2025. To be honest, I don’t feel like making this all that formal, but I also wanted to highlight how impressive the year has been so far. It’s disappointing how my usual Top 25 is already finding some great titles dropping out of the bottom half, but that’s just a testament to this excellent year. 1. The Weeknd – Hurry Up Tomorrow An incredible end to one of the most exciting musical projects of the modern era. While the film was whatever, this album is jam-packed with moments that haven’t left my mind since the first listen. 2. Various – Maybe Happy Ending There’s a good reason that this won the Tony. Every track has this aching sincerity and longing for a deep romantic connection. After a lackluster 2024, it’s refreshing to have OBCRs that are really going for something more creative and original. 3. Quadeca – Vanisher, Horizon Scraper It didn’t seem likely that he’d ever top “I Didn’t Mean to Haunt You,” ...