Once again, I have emerged with the patented apology. For as much as I intend SCRAPS! to be an outlet for my less formal work, I haven’t been bitten by impulsive bugs as of late to do so. What should be an easy week-to-week production has been difficult to hold onto momentum, especially when I dump most ideas over on The Memory Tourist in the How I Live Now columns. That isn’t to say that’s all that happens in a given period, but that’s what stands out. This area is, objectively, meant to fill in the gaps and I must gravely apologize for not giving you that. Will this be the cold snap that gets things back up and running? Who can tell, but I love having personal documentation of where I am in life.
The shortest detail that I can emphasize is that I have been to several WNBA games since I last wrote with the most recent being The Sparks vs. The Valkyries from a few weeks back. If you know me personally, you’ll know that I have been devoted to Los Angeles since 2021 at the earliest, and watching them get through these struggles has been rough. We recently lost my favorite league player Kelsey Plum and, in a stat that is more damning than the losing streak they’re currently on – especially recently against the out-of-contention Sun – the sophomore team out of Golden State (who I won’t argue against being better managed) now has twice as many playoff appearances as The Sparks do in the past five years… and they weren’t around for over HALF of that. Think about it. But hey, at least I got to see Kaitlyn Chen.
I also want to provide immediate feedback, if just to really date this piece, about the latest news that The Tempo has acquired new mascots: Dez the Tortoise and Dot the Hare. In theory, I like what they’re going for with the slow and steady, but the separate imagery just isn’t connecting with me yet. Are they cool looking? Yes. It’s even fascinating how many contemporary WNBA mascots have some queer bent to them. Also, Dot is going to have to fight it out with The Aces’ Bucket$, because apparently they’re not the same species.
But to start breaking into more personal things… let me just say that Southern California is, in the words of Buster Pointdexter, hot-hot-hot. I accept that other regions of the United States are hotter, but nothing will humble you more than living without centralized air conditioning. You make the most of what you can and get the fans going if possible, but you’re left sweating a lot and trying to fight off exhaustion. My muscles feel sorer. Some days I’m not as motivated. I’m doing everything I can to keep moving forward, and yet it feels like the smallest effort will drain you. Thankfully, I’m a heavy drinker (not in that way), so I’m always getting another pitcher of tea moving.
Though if I’m being honest, the most difficult part of the heat is not what I can manage, but things that are more sensitive than myself. In recent months, I have really gotten into making resin molds. I have joined that special group of people who watch craft videos on YouTube and find personal inspiration popping up as I see these liquids poured into silicone turn into pure art. It has been a lot of trial and error, with the major downside being the waiting time and not fully trusting my patience.
And yet, once I began to do that, I realized it was too late. When I last tried a project, I was playing less with powders and more with dyes and glitter, hoping to create more depth and glass effects (not working out yet). I want to see ones that look cosmic, like the night sky. In many cases, I’m still in the trial spot that is not giving me what I want. However, the progress I’ve made has been hindered by the heat. The most suitable temps have been stated to be 70-85° with well-circulated air. I like to believe I have the latter figured out, but whatever I’m doing is not working. There’s sticky residue. I’ve cracked frames. There’s plenty of notes I’m taking to future projects, but the inability to see these otherwise excellent pieces lose their sheen breaks my heart. As the weatherman tells me that I have to wait a few months to get out of the dog days of summer, it means I’m going to have to find other ways to amuse myself until then.
Part of me is considering chenille wires. They’re not my favorite, but I’ve found various projects that will pass a half-hour and produce something at least halfway charming. Even if these projects aren’t doing much to satiate an appetite, their value has helped me to slow down and consider instructions which, as I’ve learned recently when I put a measurement of salt into deviled eggs by cups and not teaspoons, also humbles you if you’re not doing things right. I like to think I’m attentive, what with being an English major and all that. But when you do stuff to relax, it can go south real quick. But hey, at least it gives you room to improve.
To continue jumping around, I’d like to briefly touch on the food thing. I’ve been in a very culinary mood as of late, so I have been adventurous in picking out new recipes. I’ve made deviled eggs, donut holes, even my homemade version of McDonald’s English McMuffin (and, save for the infrequent availability of cheese slices, is often bigger and more filling). I’m not saying I’m at chef level, but it’s making me resonate more with The Bear. I’m still not done with the show because I usually watch after strenuous exercise, but it’s much too hot to do that right now… though the rainy setting is a nice mind trick.
I would also like to address another figure that has been popping up. I’ve known about him for a long time, but for some reason, I have been curious to get into Anthony Bourdain as of late. It is, again, the chef thing. It’s also maybe because the Matt Johnson movie is currently in theaters, and I’m seeing many reviews. However, this is my first real engagement with his work, and I find him to be a very empathetic and knowledgeable speaker when it comes to what makes a meal good. I’m not somebody who watches cooking shows. I personally find the competition stuff a bit tedious and annoying (though I do go through cycles of watching Nailed It with my nieces). However, he seems to be more invested in the nuance of how food unifies us, and I would love to enrich my study in that way. My only downside is that I don’t commit to shows very well anymore, and I noticed that most of his work is 100+ episodes long. I guess I could pop it up on Pluto TV and get a sampler like I did with Bob Ross, but it’s very daunting, and I want the impression to be good.
Another thing that I’m taking a risk on this month is Colleen Hoover. I have not read any of her books. Outside of the romance genre, I couldn’t tell you what her signifiers are. What I can tell you is that SEVEN of her books were available used on my recent book hunting trip (all for $1). It felt like a sign that I should pick up a few and add them to the pile. So there I was consulting the internet for opinions, and I landed on “It Ends With Us” (quick page flip calls bullshit) and “Ugly Love.” I’m not sure when I’ll get to those, but I hope to be indoctrinated into the camp one of these days. Until then, I have a video bookmarked from Salted Latte that I hope will be insightful, or at least amusing (I mean it’s a cat puppet, what more do you want?). For what it’s worth, I also found V.C. Andrews’ “My Sweet Audrina,” which excited me to no end as a fan of “Flowers in the Attic” and “Heaven.” I’m told this is the real crazypants one, so… BRING IT ON!
Why was I at the bookstore? It was up the street from the theater where I saw Six: The Musical Live. I might write a fuller essay soon about it, but it’s one of the best pro-shots of the decade and enhances the material in ways that make you love it more. It’s not my favorite show, but it sells it so well that you become intoxicated by its charismatic presentation. I love Hadestown more, but I’m much more critical of how that looked. Six, meanwhile, is a thing of beauty and got me to pull out the soundtrack when I got home. Even so, nothing really screams Millennial cringe quite like realizing the final song starts with a ukulele. No, I will not be elaborating.
It’s also great because there are people in my family for whom the show means more, so to see them having the time of their lives was even more special. As much as I could enjoy something like The Odyssey more (saw it twice now), there’s something to loving something sincerely. The energy is unmatched. I also guess it’s better than trying to appreciate K-Pop Demon Hunters when “Golden” still sounds like five songs stapled together like some freak sandwich thingy. But hey, I doubt Six will be getting a Criterion. More than anything, I’m beyond eager right now to see what those songwriters do next.
Before ending on the most personal details, I also want to highlight that I finished my summer reading. It’s a gimmick I started in 2015 as an excuse to read longer books (notably “Les Misérables” after I became obsessed with the musical), and it’s carried to this day. I recently finished “Against the Day” by Thomas Pynchon. As a fan of his style, it delivers the hallmarks of his style, and I think it finds his ambitions getting a bit out of hand. I really like it still, but it’s intentionally messy and requires deeper thought to form a greater opinion.
And now, to end on the big notes. Since I last wrote, I have completed something very personal. Between April 1 and July 31, I completed draft one of Novel4. There’s not much that I wish to share at this time other than I’m surprised how quickly this stage came together, especially after the previous book was like pulling teeth sometimes. I’m happy with how things turned out, though I’m ready for the cruel editing stages to begin. Pages will be added. More will be taken out. If it’s anything like last time, it will have over 120 pages removed. I’ve been thinking about what the next stage will look like, and I’ll just say that this is the gradual, tedious part. I’m not expecting anything complete until late 2028. Better calm yourselves down.
Though if you want to see anything new from me, I’m in the midst of compiling my next short story collection, currently untitled. This is largely from 2019 onward, so there’s an impressive sense of growth to be found on these pages. I like a lot of “Esoteric Shapes,” but it feels very beginner in ways that I think I surpass in every way this time. This is more considerate in craft and narrative, and I think it builds to better points… even if it has a holiday parody of Clint Eastwood’s Sully in the middle. I still need to add opinion essays and format the book, but I hope for an October/November timeline. Most of what I need is there. I just have to put in the effort to finalize things.
Which is to say that my short stories are currently on the back burner. My most recent was “Without History,” which was over a month ago now. I’m not planning this to be a prolific year and am considering five to be my top guess. No word on what’s next other than it might be inspired by my recent six-hour effort to assemble a coffee table. Not autobiographical, but it was the building block to something grander.
Oh, and because I forgot to mention it earlier, I am a fan of the new Phoebe Bridgers album. I haven’t given myself enough time to process it since its release, but I love its dreamlike quality. What resonates with me about her is that I would listen to “Punisher” every day before doing Zoom classes in 2021, and it really got me in the headspace to learn. I love her poetic use of language, and I can only hope these words become one with myself soon enough. There are many other albums I’d recommend, but I’m running long. Also, curious to see if the musical Good Guy With A Gun is any good because the cast is very good. Not sure it’ll be on the level production-wise of the recent Lost Boys record, but one can hope. Also, Kimiko Glenn’s just one of those talents who is vastly underrated in my book. Always a delight when she pops up.
And another thing I wanted to touch on, even if this now is a shapeless essay, is that I have finally listened to a Primus album. I’ve known about Les Claypool since I was a teenager but never took the time to appreciate his style. “Sailing the Seas of Cheese” was the weapon of choice, and what amazes me is how avant-garde his bass playing is. I’ve been craving that innovation as of late, and it’s amazing to see him turn that into a whole rhythm section. It also helps that the lyrics are wacky and the backing band really does the material justice. The funniest part was that I thought Claypool was doing an impression of Tom Waits at one point, but it’s just the man himself.
I’m not sure that Primus will ever be my favorite band, but I’m loving their weirdness right now. They’ve also had an odd habit of popping up in random places since I listened to that record, notably on Jeopardy! and on a t-shirt at a WPBL game (Go Firebells!). I’ve been reading interviews and, to my surprise, he’s dishing out other bassists he likes, so I am currently going through and finding them to hopefully feel stimulated again. I checked out Blue Öyster Cult and think they have a lot going for them. I may also check out Yes and Peter Gabriel, but nothing too set in stone. I may even try out Rush, who is a band I notoriously make fun of. Though, if it’s like Pink Floyd, this may be the year I become a boomer and just like all the dad rock.
I’m sorry for being all over the place. It’s the ideal reason that this comes out on a regular timeline. Maybe I’ll have one before the month is out. For now, I need to get moving on my next Failed Oscar Campaigns column on the one Richard Linklater movie from 2025 that I absolutely hated, called Nouvelle Vague. I also need to finish editing my short story collection and do what I can to not melt. Sometimes it feels like my brain has, especially when I watch Nation’s Dumbest (the finest middle-of-the-road show to watch at 9 PM midweek). Oh well. I’m also reading my second Colson Whitehead book, “Nickel Boys,” right now, so fingers crossed it matches my affection for the film in any meaningful manner. Oh, and college women’s volleyball is up and running very soon. Get hyped!
At the risk of continuing to ramble, I’ll cut myself there. Not sure what the rest of August has in store. I’m sure it will have Neil Diamond and those “Hot August Nights” gem that goes down smoothly on a summer evening while lying in the backyard. Otherwise, it’s coasting through to the final third of the year. Not sure what it’ll look like, but we’re in the sweet spot right before the finale accelerates into oblivion. I’ve learned to like Christmas, but it all feels too obligatory. I need to slow down and appreciate time. So until next time. Hope all’s well, and I’ll see ya when I see ya.
Comments
Post a Comment